Long Island Attorneys
Dedicated to Serving Our Clients

Custody, Visitation & Parenting Time Representation

Speak with an Experienced Long Island Divorce Attorney

Child In Custody with Parent In Suffolk CountyIf you have children, it is important that you take action to ensure that their best interests are in kept in mind throughout the course of a divorce proceeding. At Blumberg, Cherkoss, Fitz Gibbons, Blumberg, we are proud to have assisted countless parents in a variety of complex divorce-related cases.

Our team of Long Island custody lawyers has been assisting our community since 1935 and have helped individuals and families obtain favorable results for their custody, visitation and parenting time agreements, contests and modifications. We're ready to assess your circumstances and pursue a swift, positive outcome on your behalf.

If you need a trusted custody lawyer for your complex family law case in Suffolk or Nassau County, do not hesitate to contact our office today.

What Are My Options for Custody in New York?

There are numerous factors that need to be taken into consideration when determining custody and visitation for children and parents. The State of New York recognizes joint and sole custody, as well as custody based on grandparent’s rights and visitation for parental parties that may have been disjointed by divorce.

Just some of the factors considered in these cases include:

  • Stability in the home of either parent
  • Caretakers and childcare arrangements that may be needed during shared visitations
  • Physical and mental health of the parents, including use of drugs or alcohol
  • Education for the child, conditions of the home environment and finances of the parents
  • The preference of the child, depending on their age

Of course, each divorce case will be unique and the specific needs of each family and child will vary, which is why it is important that you work with a Nassau & Suffolk County divorce attorney to seek specific goals and address your concerns.

Modification of Custody in New York

a father needing to modify his custody arrangement spends time with his child at the park Any parent can file a petition for modification of child custody or visitation in New York. You must state why the modification will be in the child's best interests. You must also state that there was a "substantial change in circumstances" since the original custody order was put in place, thus requiring a need for modification.

Schedule a Consultation with Us

If you are filing for divorce, or if you have questions regarding the modifications of an existing divorce decree and visitation agreements, do not hesitate to contact an Amityville custody attorney. We offer free case evaluations to all potential clients.

Our Nassau & Suffolk County divorce lawyers are ready to help. Reach us directly at (631) 449-7699.

What Makes Us Different?

  • 85 Years of Experience in Amityville, NY

  • Large Enough to Meet All of Your Legal Needs but Small Enough to Provide Personal Service

  • Professional Advice and Personal Attention

  • Experienced & Focused Team of Attorneys

  • You Will Not be Treated as a Number

  • Dedicated to Serving Our Clients